UX strategy and design

Web and mobile development

Art Direction



As a freelancer, I was brought on at the initial ideation phase of Evermix. This was a fun exercise in defining what Evermix was and how it stood out in a crowded music streaming marketplace.

Whilst working at Play, we were approached by an entrepreneur with an idea for a unique start-up. They already had the plans for the hardware (a device that connects a DJs iPhone to their mixer and records music direct to their phone) and we had the proposition. The proposition was to ‘make nights last forever’ and it was up to me working as part of an agile, multi-disciplined team to realise what that meant to the target audience.

With a base of user research we entered several weeks of design sprints to come up with a handful of unique ideas that would attract DJs and listeners alike to Evermix.


UX was split into two strategies - the Listener experience and the DJ experience. I conducted one on one interviews with users on how they find and consume music. From the results I mapped user journey's to find the best possible outcome.

A similar task was carried out for the DJ recording experience, albeit for a much more unique use case where most assumptions are cast aside. Again, interviews and user journeys were mapped and out of these components for the DJ recording app was realised.


Once both strategies were mapped we then moved into a quick prototyping phase. First, we tested each other with paper prototypes. Then we created simple prototypes and got them in from of users.

Controlled testing was carried out with hand picked users and with the results, we iterated until had an MVP to launch into beta.


Wireframes were based on the prototypes and we created refined designs within the browser or built on top of frameworks already created, as was the case with the DJ app.

Throughout the course of the beta we iterated upon the design of the platform and the app, making incremental improvements based on feedback from users. I carried out surveys of both audiences regularly and we had a small group of ‘super users’ we could call upon when needed.


With most of the base of the build complete throughout the iteration process, it was up to me and another developer to personally improve the design when we came out of beta.


As the sole designer in the company, it was up to me to determine the direction of the brand. I created style guides and made sure they were accessible and adhered to by the wider business. I also set up personal design sprints to iterate new features and components rolled out post-beta.

With a background in photography, I was also in the field (sometimes literally at festivals), in the club and in the studio taking shots of our DJ users and products.